Tony Hogg's team praised as funding review is withdrawn
Police and Crime Commissioner Tony Hogg has spoken of his delight after Policing Minister Mike Penning withdrew the Home Office review into the police funding formula.
In answer to a question by MP Keith Vaz, Mr Penning said the withdrawal came as a direct result of the mistakes discovered by the Devon and Cornwall OPCC and highlighted in the media last week.
“The funding formula was descending into chaos, and the Government’s decision to delay is the right one,” said Mr Hogg.
“My excellent team has worked on the Government’s proposals for the past five months. They have submitted two detailed sets of proposals and engaged with the Home Office on a number of occasions.
“However, they remained tenacious and continued to badger away at irregularities. Two weeks ago they told the Home Office that they could not reconcile their data and last Monday my chief executive wrote setting out this position formally. It was this determination that finally caused the Home Office to admit their error. Even after that, it was down to my team to work out what huge impact it meant for individual police forces.”
It is still unclear what the next stages in the formula review will be.
“We stand ready to work with ministers to create a formula that accurately reflects policing demand. For Devon and Cornwall that means one which will reflect the demands created by being a large rural force with large tourist numbers,” said Mr Hogg.
“My chief executive has already been in touch with Home Office officials to offer the expertise that has been built up down here to ensure that the next process is significantly better.”
In relation to his referendum consultation, Tony Hogg has decided to reflect over the next few days about what implication the policing minister’s announcement will have for that proposed process.