Open and Transparent Quality Mark 2016/17 and 2017/18

Complaints against the Chief Constable

The Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) has a statutory duty to consider complaints against the Chief Constable of Devon and Cornwall Police only.

The PCC acts as the disciplinary body (appropriate authority) for the Chief Constable and the arrangements for dealing with complaints against the personal conduct of a Chief Constable are statutory, as set out within the Police Reform Act 2002. The PCC only deals with purely conduct-related complaints and not complaints about operational decisions or policing policies.

If you wish to make a complaint relating to the Chief Constable you must be able to evidence where the Chief Constable’s  personal conduct is at fault.

If you wish to make a complaint against the Chief Constable of Devon and Cornwall Police you may do so by:

  • Completing the feedback form at the bottom of this page;
  • Writing to the Police and Crime Commissioner, Andy Hocking House, Alderson Drive, Exeter, EX2 7RP;
  • By email:
  • Phoning 01392 225555

What happens after a complaint against the Chief Constable is made?

We aim to make a recording decision and reply to you within 10 working days. You have the right of appeal to the IOPC if you disagree with our decision not to officially record your complaint. We will decide whether the complaint can be locally resolved with you or if criminal or misconduct proceedings require formal investigation. We will also determine whether any action should be taken and whether disciplinary proceedings should be brought if the complaint is against the current Chief Constable. This is not required for a Chief Constable who is no longer serving in Devon and Cornwall Police, although criminal proceeding could be brought if appropriate.

Please note that the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Devon and Cornwall cannot investigate anonymous complaints. Neither the PCC nor her office will enter into correspondence with individuals who have used foul or abusive language.

For further information, please see the Complaints Against the Chief Constable Policy.