The five-week hearing at Exeter Racecourse heard that the perpetrator had been issued with a shotgun certificate and had it returned to him by the force despite assaulting two people in a park before, on August 12, 2021, he shot and killed five members of the public and wounded two.
Thanking participants of the inquest for providing a ‘clear and independent understanding of missed opportunities’ Alison Hernandez said she was working with the force’s new Chief Constable, with the Home Office and with the Association of Police and Crime Commissioners (APCC) so safer regimes could be put in place.
“Nothing I say or do will bring back the five people who lost their lives,” Commissioner Hernandez said.
“I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks to all those who took part in this inquest. It has provided a clear and independent understanding of missed opportunities which could have prevented one of the worst crimes to have occurred in our force area in recent years.
“Since that tragic day I have made significant funding available to improve the Devon and Cornwall Police’s firearms licensing department, recruited a new Chief Constable to transform the leadership of the force and sought reassurance that substantial improvements have been, and continue to be made.
“I am working with the Home Office and APCC so that we learn nationally from this tragedy to ensure that nothing like it happens again. I will continue to commission support services for all those affected by these crimes in Plymouth.”
Support is still available for anyone affected by the events in Keyham from Plymouth Together at plymouthtogether.co.uk. Practical and emotional help for victims of crime in Devon and Cornwall can be accessed by calling Victim Support on 08081689111 or visiting www.victimsupport.org.uk.