Police and Crime Commissioner Alison Hernandez and Chief Constable Shaun Sawyer visit Keyham in the aftermath of the shooting
In a response during a Commons Adjournment Debate secured by Luke Pollard, MP for Plymouth Sutton and Devonport, Government Minister for Crime, Policing and Justice Kit Malthouse said more than £1 million of additional funding was now being allocated for the ongoing recovery effort in Keyham.
- £800,000 to be invested into community safety and policing to help rebuild confidence and reassure people that Keyham is a safe place to live, work and go to school.
- Over £300,000 for the Devon, Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Police and Crime Commissioner to commission additional support services for the victims and witnesses.
- Further case workers and specialist emotional support will be made available to help children and young people who witnessed the acts of violence.
- An additional 130 spaces for local mental health services.
The Minister said the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities was also sighted on a request from Plymouth City Council for cross Government support and was keen to work with the council and other agencies to contribute to the further recovery efforts.
He also acknowledged that conversations were also under way about additional support for children through schools.
Mr Malthouse praised the city’s response to the tragedy, including the Plymouth Together Campaign, saying it was something that Keyham could be ‘incredibly proud’ of. He also thanked Luke Pollard MP for raising the issue and for his constructive dialogue with ministers.
He said: “I know that the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner, Victim Support, Plymouth City Council and other local partners have done outstanding work in supporting those impacted by this incident, drawing in support from across the entire city and I would like to express my gratitude for their constructive and proactive approach.”
The announcement follows a submission of a funding bid to the Government to ensure a wide range of agencies can continue to provide both immediate and long-term support to those who have been impacted by the tragedy, as well as for the wider community.
Since the tragedy on August 12, the city council has worked with MPs and partners, including Devon and Cornwall Police and Crime Commissioner Alison Hernandez, to agree plans for how the community can be supported and to request confirmation from the Government that additional resources will be made available.
Mr Pollard said: “Over the past few weeks I’ve been making the case to Ministers for this cross-party bid for funding to provide Keyham with the long-term support we need, so this announcement is very welcome.
“This is just the start though. The support put into Keyham and Ford has been incredible so far but we will need Government to help us sustain it.
“We will continue to press Ministers for confirmation of the support we need from their departments.”
Council Leader Nick Kelly said: “This announcement is very welcome news and we are grateful to Luke Pollard MP for raising it again in the Commons and securing this funding.
“However, this is only part of the picture and we will continue working together to ensure all Government departments step up and deliver on initial promises to help us ensure we can provide the right level support to the community in the future.
“We all remain united in our determination to make sure everything possible is done to help those affected by this appalling tragedy. The response from all partners so far has been amazing but given the scale of the impact on the community and the levels of ongoing support that will be needed over the coming weeks, months and years, further funding from the Government will be critical.”
Alison Hernandez, Police and Crime Commissioner for Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, said: “The immediate response from partners and the services my office provides, such as Victim Support, to the tragic events of August 12 was swift, co-ordinated and impactful.
“However, my office’s bid for funding to the Ministry of Justice highlighted evidence that shows the effects of a traumatic event such as this can be felt long after it occurs. I am delighted that the Government has listened to that expert advice and put in funding that assures me, as the individual responsible for victims services, that we will be able to offer professional, high quality and long-term support to those affected.”