What is the role of the independent panel member?
The role of an independent panel member is to assist misconduct panels in reaching a fair and evidence based judgement about a particular officer’s conduct and deciding on an appropriate sanction. They also ensure that there is an independent and impartial voice on such panels and provide assurance to the community that conduct matters are treated seriously and that misconduct proceedings are being properly investigated and adjudicated.
Some of the key responsibilities include:
- attending and participating effectively in misconduct hearings as required;
- preparing for hearings by considering in advance relevant papers, reports and background information;
- constructively challenging accepted facts and views in these hearings where appropriate;
- attending training offered that is relevant to the role, and taking a proactive approach to considering what additional development would be appropriate;
- maintaining the highest standards of professional conduct and ethics.