The PCC holds the following strategic meetings which are not open to public attendance:
Joint Leadership Board
The purpose of the Joint Leadership Board (JLB) is to act as a coordinating and decision making forum for the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) and the Chief Constable as two separate corporations sole (together with their senior team members). It is a forum to consult on significant strategic issues that jointly affect the shape of policing within the Force area and to discuss issues which determine the strategic direction of the Force and OPCC
JLB is responsible for the strategic oversight of the delivery of the Police and Crime Plan and receives regular reports on progress against commitments in the Police and Crime Plan.
JLB will also provide an advisory forum in which the PCC, Deputy PCC and Chief Constable can take advice from statutory officers and other professional advisors from the Chief Officer Group. It does not replace the need for the PCC and Chief Constable to hold separate strategic meetings in order to effectively discharge their statutory duties.
It is acknowledged that at all times the Chief Constable will retain operational independence.
JLB is responsible for the following types of decision:
Decisions are taken by the PCC and Chief Constable in consultation with each other by means of determination at the Joint Leadership Board or by means of delegation to any other body or officer as appropriate depending on the nature of the decision to be made, for example decisions that:
- Significantly alter the Police and Crime Plan and/or the strategic direction of the PCC or the Force.
- Have a significant impact on community engagement or accountability to the public.
- Impact on the current or future resources available for policing in Devon and Cornwall.
- Create significant commitments in future financial years.
- Have a significant impact on collaborative or other joint working.
- Involve novel or contentious matters.
- Significantly alter the risk profile of the PCC and/or the Force.
OPCC Strategic Management Board
The OPCC Strategic Management Board is the primary governance board for the OPCC and meets the following functions:
- It is the primary decision-making board within the OPCC
- It is the central point for oversight of delivery of the Police & Crime Plan
- It has oversight and sign off of OPCC budget expenditure (commissioning budget, plan delivery budget, offender management budget and office budget)
- It has oversight and sign-off for OPCC policies
- It maintains oversight of the OPCC Risk Register
The Board provides an advisory role as required by the PCC when:
- Decisions are not capable of delegation and reserved to the PCC
- There are sensitive matters involving the OPCC or the Force
- Decisions have been delegated to statutory officers but require a final consensus and accountability before sign off
Decision Making Meetings
A record of each decision of significant public interest arising from the exercise of the elected PCC’s functions, whether made as a result of a meeting or otherwise is published on the OPCC website, subject to Freedom of Information classification. A record of decisions taken can be found here.