Open and Transparent Quality Mark 2016/17 and 2017/18


We take the matter of complaints very seriously and we want to make sure that the service we provide to communities is professional, effective and efficient. The Police & Crime Commissioner works with the Chief Constable and the police to make sure that the service provided to our communities is of the highest standard.

We recognise that there will be times when people feel dissatisfied with the service they have received. This may come about as a result of a particular incident in which they are involved, a policy decision about the policing of their neighbourhood or the conduct of a particular person employed by the police or the Police & Crime Commissioner (PCC).

We understand that making a complaint about the police, and the police environment, may be intimidating for some people. We also recognise that an individual’s specific needs or circumstances may impact on their confidence and ability to make a complaint.

We will do our best to ensure that all reasonable steps are taken to remove barriers that might prevent any of the communities we serve from engaging with us, and with the complaints system. Please let us know if you require us to make adjustments to our procedures to enable you to access our services, or if you have any observations about how we may improve access to our services.

In order to provide the best possible service to the public this information has been produced to enable you to make a formal complaint, should you wish to do so, against any of the following: Devon and Cornwall Police, the PCC for Devon and Cornwall or her office.

What information to include in a complaint

When making your complaint, please include as much detail as possible about what happened:

  • What was said or done and by whom? Were there witnesses or evidence such as documents or photographs?
  • The names of any staff concerned.
  • What you would like us to do to.
  • Please ensure that you provide your address, date of birth and a telephone number so that we are able to contact you. Without these details it will not be possible to progress enquiries into the issues raised.

Complaints from young people (people under the age of 16)

A young person under 16 should not normally need to provide written permission for a parent, guardian or advocate (for example, a teacher or social worker) to make a complaint on his or her behalf.

  • Young people under the age of 16 are able to give valid consent (and refuse parental involvement) provided they have sufficient understanding and intelligence to enable them to understand fully what is proposed.
  • We will help to ensure that a young person understands the process and the potential outcomes when making a complaint. Support will be provided to young people not only in their initial access to the complaints system, but throughout the handling of their complaint – for example, ensuring that they understand the local resolution process or providing them with appropriate support should they need to give evidence at criminal or disciplinary proceeding.

Please click on the links below to find more information about:

Complaints against Devon and Cornwall Police Officers and staff

Complaints against staff of the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner

Complaints against the Chief Constable

Complaints againt the Police and Crime Commissioner