Devon and Cornwall’s Police and Crime Commissioner has repeated her pledge to provide long-term support for those affected by last year’s shooting in Plymouth as the city marks its first anniversary.
Events including a church service will be held today (Friday, August 12) for people to reflect on the five people murdered and two injured in Keyham by a gunman who then took his own life.
The Commissioner secured additional Government funding for specialist support immediately after the incident and her office has been engaged in the Plymouth Together partnership to aid recovery.
Last week the Ministry of Justice said it would provide another round of funding via the Commissioner’s office to extend the period of enhanced support offered to Plymouth residents.
Alison said: “It is impossible to fully comprehend the trauma experienced by the loved ones of those who had their lives taken away so suddenly and those who were injured in this incident. “Expert advice tells us that the wider Keyham and Plymouth residents may be impacted by this terrible incident for some considerable time to come. As the city comes together to reflect on the first anniversary I would like to reassure those directly and indirectly affected that we will remain by your side.”
There is a wide range of support on offer. Full details of these services and community initiatives established in the wake of the incident can be found at www.plymouthtogether.co.uk or by calling 01752 668000.